Friday, October 12, 2007

Carbo dinner

Eh. I give it a six.

No, it was amazing to see thousands and thousands of people at a carbo dinner. Also, They tried really hard. But still, powerpoint and fire dancing don't really mix. Last year's was put up on ironman.com, so I assume this year's is as well.

The highlight of the evening was the introduction of the oldest athletes. The oldest guy couldn't be there so a spritely young Frank Farrar had to fill in as second oldest.

I'll be sorry to beat Sister Madonna (but she's going down) - she is one of the coolest people around anywhere. She hasn't trained much since her last ironman six weeks ago, because she has a broken toe. Her comment, with a big pearly smile? "I'm fine". Frank reiterated his finish thought from Wisconsin, "when I grow up, I want to be just like all of you". I may have to come back in a few years to watch them open up the 81 to 85 age group.

Rigsby was honored as the everuman ironman, and accepted it with grace. The footage they showed made Georgia look beautiful as well.

No huge laughs, but it was something to witness, and part of the whole experience.

As we walked back, construction on the pier was in full swing, and the finish line was going up. If you listen closely right now, you can hear my heart beating from wherever you are.

Finally, thank you to everyone for your notes and thoughts. Especially now that my beauitiful wife is here, I'm spending less time writing on the blackberry. I do read and appreciate each thought, though. Thank you - it really means so much to me to have you pulling me towards the finish line.