Wednesday, April 25, 2007

When and where? Can I come?

"Most of us, swimming against the tides of trouble the world knows nothing about, need only a bit of praise or encouragement - and we will make the goal."
-Jerome Fleishman


The race is Saturday, October 13th at 7:00 A.M., which is a short 171 days from the date of this post (yikes!).

It's on the 'Big Island' of Hawaii (which is also called Hawaii). The swim takes place, and the bike and run start and finish, in Kailua-Kona on the west coast. I'll break down the courses for you another time, but the best place to stay and see would be in Kailua-Kona itself. It would also be possible to stay in Kohala, which has nicer resorts, but it would probably mean an early morning if you want to see the swim. It's quite an event, and there are no tickets to buy.

Anybody and everybody is welcome. This is a big deal for me, and a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to compete in the 'super bowl' of Triathlon. Even so, I'm a cranky and nervous wreck before the race. Sunday and Monday after the race would be the best days to hang out with me. I'm actually pretty busy in the days leading up to the race (freer earlier in the week), and Jen and I are looking for some alone time ourselves after then. The hotels are usually ridiculously booked, with long minimums. So, that means you're better of coming if you want a Hawaiian vacation anyway. Spend some time, come say hi (you don't know how much it would be appreciated), celebrate, and then continue your vacation. If you're thinking about it, and don't want to surprise me, just drop me a line. I'm not thinking of much else these days anyway.

Yesterday was an 'easy day'. I'll be trying to alternate easy and quality to stay healthy through the summer and fall. It was an 1100 yard swim, and a 6.2 mile easy (slow) run.