Friday, April 27, 2007

Rest days

Today is a rest day. I'm going to take at least one a week, and more if I need them. The basic idea is get into a pattern of repetitive stress and repair.

I'll work out hard, and my body will give me what I need that day. If I consistently work out in this hard/easy cycle, my body will realize that I'm going to be working out hard regularly. It will then, the theory goes, use the easy days to build up everything from capillaries to muscle and bone. I have 20 or so of these week long cycles between now and Kona, and I'm hoping to make each of them count.

The risk that I work out too hard and hurt myself is actually much higher than the risk that I won't work out hard enough, but it's a very narrow zone between over and under trained. I'm sure I'll spend time on both borders, and will just try correct my course as I go.

My weeks start on Saturday, usually with a race, and end on Friday with a rest day.

The total volume this week was :
Swim 4400 yards: 1 hr, 55 minutes, 37 seconds
Bike 78.24 miles: 4 hrs, 55 minutes, 30 seconds
Run 13.7 miles: 2 hrs, 29 minutes, 18 seconds

I'll be well above twice that by late summer. Wow, it seems like a lot.